Stony Creek Chember of Commerce in the Adirondack Mountains of New York The road to a friendly town is never long.
Stony Creek Chember of Commerce in the Adirondack Mountains of New York Dean Museum Beaver Tree School House
Stony Creek Chember of Commerce in the Adirondack Mountains of New York Stony Creek History Community Calendar & Events Stony Creek Business Directory Driving Directions Maps & Trails Inquiry Form
Stony Creek Chember of Commerce in the Adirondack Mountains of New York
Stony Creek History

Welcome to Stony Creek, the smallest town in Warren County, founded in 1852. For the first 50 years small factories and the woods provided a living wage for about 2,000 residents. The arrival of the 20th century and its changing lifestyle saw the closing of the factories and a reduction in population. The 600 remaining souls were left with the woods and plenty of room in which to roam.

Stony Creek Township, about 87 square miles in area, is in the South-Western corner of the original Town of Thurman formed in 1792. Parcels in the North and east kept separating off as new townships.

In 1813, the same year that Warren County was formed, Warrensburg split off and the area left was named Athol. On November 3, 1852, Athol was split into the towns of Stony Creek and Thurman.

The population in 1855 was 913. Around the turn of the 19th century the population in Stony Creek peaked at 1,250 residents.

At the beginning of the 21st century the population was 743 permanent residents.


Stony Creek Chamber of Commerce, Inc.
P.O. Box 35
Stony Creek, NY 12878
518-696-4563
info@stonycreekchamber.com

Site Design & Promotion by Nolee-O Web Design